This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Home schooling


Parents are allowed to educate their children at home instead of school if they choose to do so.    Under UK law it is education that is compulsory, not schooling, though the vast majority of parents do choose to send their children to school.

Parents of children who have attended a public school must seek the education authority's consent before withdrawing their child.

Parents are not required to seek the consent of the education authority in order to home educate their child if:

  • their child has never attended a public school
  • their child has never attended a public school in that authority's area
  • their child is being withdrawn from an independent school
  • their child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education in another
  • the school the child has been attending has closed.

In the last two cases parents may simply notify the authority that they intend to home educate.

The Council's Policy on Home Tuition can also be found by clicking on the link under 'Online Tools' on the right.

Further information on home education is available on the Scottish Government website - see link on the right.



Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

Can I educate my child at home?

If your child is currently attending a local authority school you will have to request permission to withdraw your child from school and to confirm that you are assuming responsibility for their education. There are other procedures if your child is not currently attending/never attended school.

What practical support will be offered to help me educate my child at home?

Local Authority staff can offer advice to families.

What will happen if I say that I wish to educate my child at home?

You will be provided with information from Education & Cultural Services and be offered a meeting with Education Officers to discuss the planned arrangements to educate your child at home.