Every year, around 75 people are killed or seriously injured on West Lothian roads and a further 500 are slightly injured.
In response, we now publish our Road Safety Plan for West Lothian covering the period 2012-2015. This document sets out West Lothians targets for casualty reduction over the next three year period. The targets are in line with the Scottish Government Targets and Vision for 2020.
The publication also details our key commitments and action plan for the next three years. You can view/download the plan by clicking here.
The plan will be reviewed annually to ensure that it reflects the needs of the community and the available resources.
The council's road safety work is co-ordinated by the Road Safety and Traffic Management team based within Transportation at Whitehill House, 7 Whitestone Place, Whitehill Industrial Estate, Bathgate. The work of the team includes:
- Developing and maintaining the council's road safety plan
- Providing general road safety advice
- Undertake accident investigation studies
- Carrying out road safety audits of new road schemes
- Collating and analyising accident statistics
- Arranging and analysing speed surveys